Ideas to help dad form a special bond with his baby.
The relationship between mom and baby is special, but so is baby's bond with dad. While breastfeeding may make you feel a little left out, here are some tips on how you and your baby can grow close:
- Make time for hugs and cuddles. Human touch is soothing for both you and your baby. Let your baby rest on your chest when lounging around at home.
- Talk and sing. Talk or sing to your baby throughout the day, keeping your face close and your eyes on baby.
- Play games. Make silly faces, play peek-a-boo, or sing songs for baby. Set aside regular time for this so that as baby grows, this special time becomes a part of your daily routine.
- Keep it moving. Carry your baby in a sling or front carrier on walks or as you go about your daily routine.
- Help with baby care. You can soothe, bathe, change, dress, and burp your baby. You can also sit and keep mom company during feedings. This helps you bond with baby and supports your partner.